Are you looking for a sweet and scrumptious cake that’s free from gluten, dairy and eggs? Then this vegan gluten-free orange polenta cake is just for you.
It’s been a while since I last shared cake with you all, in fact it was around this time last year where I shared the gluten-free cherry and almond cake I made for my boyfriend birthday. I’m not sure where the time has gone, and why I haven’t made another cake sooner but I’m breaking this streak with an Italian classic, the polenta cake.
I was flicking through last months edition of Delicious Mag and I came across the moistest looking cake ever, the syrup soaked top had caught my eye and from that moment I just knew I had to make it. The recipe was neither vegan, nor gluten-free but I was up to the challenge; I was going to make a polenta cake, and this is what it looked like;
- On my first attempt the cake was way too dry, so my family and I smothered it in custard and ate it any way
- On my second attempt the cake was a little too flat for my liking, oh the joys of gluten-free baking
- On my third attempt the cake was almost perfect, the cracked and risen top let it down though
- On my fourth attempt the cake had a teeny crack but the surface was even, so I was happy
The result was a light spongy polenta cake, perfectly moist and sweet. It’s full of zingy flavour from the oranges and the syrup really makes this cake something special. So whether you’re looking to take cake along to a picnic, or simply something to serve to friends with afternoon tea this Italian inspired bake is sure to go down a treat.
This Vegan Gluten-free Orange Polenta Cake is:
Sweet and zesty
Easy to make
Ideal for afternoon tea or picnics in the park
Vegan Gluten-free Orange Polenta Cake
- 3/4 cup. polenta / 120g
- 3/4 cup. ground almonds / 90g
- 3/4 cup. gluten-free self raising flour / 140g
- 1/2 cup. plain dairy-free yoghurt / 120ml
- 1/2 cup. oil / 120ml
- 1/2 cup. agave syrup / 120ml
- 1/4 cup. orange juice / 60ml
- 1/4 cup. dairy-free milk room temperature
- 2 tbsp. zest
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder<br><br>
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- 2 tbsp. orange juice
Pre heat the oven to 160c.
Put all of the liquids (yoghurt, olive oil, milk, agave syrup and orange juice) into a jug, whisk well and set aside
Put all of the dry ingredients (flour, polenta, ground almonds, baking powder and orange zest) into a large bowl and whisk together until well combined
Pour the liquid into the bowl and whisk well
Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean
Allow to cool slightly, then using a cocktail stick poke holes into the top of the cake. Pour the syrup evenly over the cake and then serve
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days
If you’ve tried one of my recipes, I’d love to hear about it. Tag your social media posts with #Goodnessisgorgeous or leave a comment below.