Crispy, sweet and delicious, Vegan French toast makes the best treat for breakfast or brunch.
My love of my breakfast food is no secret around here and having recently discovered this sweet (and sometimes savoury) dish I can’t stop craving it so naturally I had to share it with you. With only a handful of ingredients required this vegan version of ‘eggy bread’ is super easy to make but it tastes like a real treat.
The best kind of French toast is crispy on the outside and soft in the middle, for this you will need to use stale bread as well as thickly cut slices to stop the toast from becoming overly soggy.
You can serve the toast on it’s own, or opt for toppings such as maple syrup, dairy-free yoghurt and strawberries or berries of your choice.
In this recipe I have used a gluten-free loaf from The Good Grain Bakery however if gluten isn’t an issue for you feel free to swap this for a regular loaf.
This is a relatively quick breakfast with little effort required that will make your mornings a little bit more special.
This Vegan French Toast is:
Easy to make
- 6 slices of gluten-free bread (thickly sliced)
- ¾ cup dairy-free milk
- 2 tbsp. gluten-free plain flour
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Whisk together all of the all of the ingredients (except the bread) in a shallow bowl until well they are well combined
- Prepare your cooking space by moving the mixture next to the frying pan
- Heat a tbsp. of oil in your pan (if you’re not using non-stick) over a medium heat
- Dip the slices of bread into mixture (not soak) and place in the pan. Fry for a minute or two on each side until crispy
- Repeat this with the rest of the slices
- Serve immediately with fruit, syrup and yoghurt
If you’ve tried one of my recipes, I’d love to hear about it. Tag your social media posts with #Goodnessisgorgeous or leave a comment below.