Mac and cheese that is just like the real thing, good and proper comfort food
This is a recipe I’ve been making for a while now and it is one that I keep coming back to. It’s a vegan twist on the classic comfort dish, macaroni and cheese, but by no means is this a compromise. It tastes just like mac and cheese should, creamy, cheesy and oh so good.
What gives this mac and cheese its cheesiness is nutritional yeast aka nooch; inactive yeast made from either sugarcane or beetroot molasses. This savoury seasoning is one of those store cupboard items that I wouldn’t be without, not only does it work perfectly in a dish like this but its cheese-like flavour also makes it ideal for sprinkling over dishes like this one pot pasta. Nutritional yeast is also a great source of b12, you need approx. 3 tbsp. to meet the recommended daily allowance, so this recipe has got you covered.
As this version of mac and cheese is completely plant based, it’s naturally healthy, low in fat and packed full of fibre. It even counts towards your 5 a day… What are you waiting for you?
This Mac and Cheese is:
- 400g white potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 / approx. 210g carrots, chopped
- ¼ / approx. 120g medium sized onion, chopped
- ¼ cup / 59ml unsweetened soy milk
- ¼ cup - ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 250g gluten free macaroni*
- Place the potatoes, carrots and onion into a large pan. Cover with water and boil until soft.
- Meanwhile cook the macaroni as per instructions.
- Once the vegetables are soft, remove from the heat and drain the water. Place the vegetables into a blender along with the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour this over the macaroni and stir (the sauce should still be hot at this point but if it’s a little on the cold side, reheat)
- Serve and enjoy!
- *I have made this with gluten free macaroni, however it works well with other regular pasta too.
If you’ve tried one of my recipes, I’d love to hear about it. Tag your social media posts with #goodnessisgorgeous or leave a comment below.