It was my boyfriend’s birthday a couple of weeks ago and this was his birthday cake. I had been planning to make it for a while as ever since I can remember he has requested a cherry and almond cake for his birthday. I was so pleased with how delicious it turned out that I have made it two times since. It’s sweet, perfectly moist and full of almond flavour, reminiscent of the beloved bakewell tart!
While I love fresh cherries, I wanted this cake to be just as tasty as the cake my boyfriend used to have a child so I have opted for glace cherries in this cake. They may not be nutritious like regular cherries but they work well in this bake and sometimes you just have to go with what tastes good. My taste testers certainly weren’t complaining!
If you’re looking to make this cake refined sugar free, feel free to leave out the cherries, it is equally delicious on its own I promise.
For decoration I went for a little dusting of icing sugar and flaked almonds. Alternatively you can ice the cake if you wish.
This cherry and almond cake is:
High in protein
Full of healthy fats
- 200g / 2 cups self raising gluten free flour (I used Doves Farm)
- 150g / 1¼ cups ground almonds
- 200g / 1 cup coconut sugar*
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 120 ml / ½ cup. liquid coconut oil
- 300ml / 1⅓ cup soy milk
- 2 tsp. almond essence
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 200g glace cherries, chopped
- Icing sugar
- Flaked almonds
- *white cane sugar can be used to replace this if you’re looking for a lighter coloured cake
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a 9inch springform tin
- Place all of the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Pour the wet ingredients into a jug and stir well
- Gradually add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix well
- Stir in the glace cherries
- Pour into the lined tin and bake for 40/45 minutes, until the a testing stick comes out clean
- Allow to cool and then decorate
If you’ve tried one of my recipes, I’d love to hear about it. Tag your social media posts with #Goodnessisgorgeous or leave a comment below.