It’s been a while since I last posted a recipe, I’m still here though and if you follow me on Instagram you will know that I’ve been eating oatmeal everyday (well, almost everyday) since the summer ended. What can I say? I’m addicted. Oatmeal is the perfect winter warming breakfast, it really is such a comforting dish and there are so many different flavours to experiment with, you’ll never get bored. Besides the warmth and comfort cooked oatmeal can bring, it is great to start the day with because it is a healthy source of carbohydrate. This means that it is an excellent energy provider and depending on your activity levels, will keep you full for hours.
Oats also have other health benefits such as;
- they’re a great source of fibre, which helps to maintain a healthy digestive system
- they have been shown to help lower cholesterol when eaten regularly
- they can help regulate blood sugar levels
- they contain a good amount of essential fatty acids
Of course, a bowl of oatmeal isn’t complete with toppings. I believe that having the right toppings is key for any bowl of oats but even more so if you are making ‘basic’ oatmeal. Along with raspberries and blueberries, a square (or two) of chocolate and any type of nut butter (especially the runny, homemade kind) goes really well.
To make 1 bowl you will need:
1 cup of oatmeal
1 1/2 cups of plant based milk
2 tbsp coconut sugar or sweetener of your choice
1 tsp of vanilla
- Place the milk and oatmeal into a small saucepan and bring to the boil on the stove.
- Once boiled, reduce the heat and add in the coconut sugar and vanilla.
- Continue to cook until the oats have thickened and reached your desired consistency.
- Top with your favourite toppings and enjoy!